Sentry Outpost Forum Index   Wiki  •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   • Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in 

WV Camper first hand reports
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Celina63

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

De-lurking just to say - I would trust DC (and BA's concern for him) over ART'S shifty, lying, spying, think-of-himself-first BS.

Wherever Art and DC are right now, I hope they're kicking each other's ass for eternity.

C
Noyb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obtusitivity wrote:
If he was working with forsythe, then a.) why contact us when they clearly already had someone tailing DC and Company up the mountain, and b.) why rush into a foggy dawn on an ATV to get to our team, and c.) why keep it a secret from forsythe?

Just thought of something: why would Art have used his company email if he was trying to keep it a secret from them?
"Some humans would do almost anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere with a sign on it saying ‘End of the World Switch, Please Do Not Touch’ the paint wouldn’t have time to dry." - Terry Pratchett
Dav Flamerock

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noyb, your post confuses me. Because while I'd like to agree with you in that it doesn't seem like a lot of sense, you still ought to realize that all the signs (Peter's emails) were pointing to the conclusion that they didn't know what was up.
Mapmaker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The night brought no more surprises. We were all shaken, however, and sleep did not come easy. The howling wind, the moving shutters, and the smoke from the stove did not help. Neither did the thick fog that had come down upon the cabin, obscuring our surroundings and making trips outside require a partner. Varin was disturbed by a nightmare involving us atop the mountain, and Tonamel became physically ill, unable to return to bed. Bridget herself would not get back to sleep until dawn broke, and then I imagine she did not sleep well. I woke at about 8:30 AM to find Tonamel, still unable to sleep, sitting in the cabin with JD. I lay in bed for a while until the others woke.

Dee and Devon woke up as well, and with us all there, we found that none of them had dreamed again. Emmet did not come that night, except for the note that Bridget received, and this did not sit well with JD or Devon. But there was nothing to be done but break down the tents and pack up our things and return to where the train had dropped us off. We had plenty of time, as the train was not to return until after 1 PM, but we set straight away to work. The cleanup and packing wasn't glamorous, and everyone pitched in (although I, not having brought much stuff, was probably the lazy one of the group).

It wasn't all washing dishes, stuffing backpacks, and wondering what items were whose. We found the logbooks for the cabins and looked through them, reading about bear sightings the month before, little kids hating or loving the experience, and people lamenting that they brought too much stuff. Encouraged by the frequency with which previous visitors ventured up the lookout tower, I ended up doing so as well. The wind whipped through the windowless, wooden room at the top, but all around you could see the tops of the hills, some trees still clinging to their brown and orange leaves, peeking through patches of fog.

The log books also mentioned enjoying the Ghost Trail at the end of the clearing, and undaunted by one report of ghosts with funny noses and hatchets, Dee, Varin, Rowan, Biff, and I went out to explore it. The trail wandered through thick stands of trees, leafless at eye level but thick enough at the canopy to cast the forest into relative darkness; past upended trunks green with moss fed by the layer of water on everything and with the roots sticking out into the air; over rocks and near streams; under a wire that most likely was the border of the state park; and ending in a mess of deadfall and with a cabin Biff pointed out in the distance, but which I could not see. Alas, we met no ghosts on the trail - the only problems we encountered were a few slips and falls, and Dee tearing her skirt.

The night's sleep had not tempered Bridget's resolve to stay in the mountains for the Scream. The five of us knew there was no changing her mind, and despite JD's exhortations, we began working out the logistics of her stay. Dee impressed upon us the importance of safety outside of the supernatural - the Scream and Chorazos may be dangerous, but so are the rocky peaks, hungry bears, and the lack of contact. Devon again volunteered his help, and while Bridget didn't seem to like it, she went along with it.

As we continued to pack up, Devon took me aside, and asked if we could go over near the Ghost Trail to speak in private. I agreed, and we walked over, pausing to look up at Bridget, who had climbed the lookout tower and was looking down at us. Once we went a few feet into the woods, out of earshot but well within sight of the cabin, he told me that he had not come clean with us the night before at the Feast. Not only had he known about the Miskatonic Massacre, but he knew that Chorazos was behind it. The incident in the cave, at Shattered Finger Pass, was as we suspected no accident. Chorazos was afraid that the researchers were going to "muzzle" the scream and so must be stopped - and as a result, Chorazos "fed" the scream. He went on to say that Chorazos aimed to gain limitless power through their god, Yog-Sothoth. Devon didn't know any of this as he joined, and his distaste for what Chorazos turned out to be was clear.

Devon was not the only one with messages delivered in secrecy. Realizing that Bridget's sensitivity to electronics made it unlikely we would get an e-mail or phone call from her to let us know she was OK after the Scream, I gathered everyone's addresses and gave them to her. I deeply hope we hear from her soon. She asked something of us as well - she wanted us to distract Devon at the train station so she could go off by herself. She did not want Devon's company, and we agreed to help her out. She gave us a note to give Devon after she'd left. She also gave Rowan a note, which we read outside near the fire tower. It was the dream she'd had that night, just as you might have seen it in the Craigslists.

After we finished packing everything up, we headed back down the hill. The wheelbarrow was much easier to handle, given that we'd eaten and drunk much of what was weighing it down earlier. Biff and I handled the cart down most of the way, and Devon took much of the climb back up the railroad grade to the station. While Biff went to dump the trash, we waved to the children who had been staying in the caboose that night. The family there would later tell us of some eerie things (I forget exactly what) that happened around 1 or 1:30 the night before.

We looked out over the valley below at the wooden, slightly rickety overlook. You could see all the way to Virginia from there, but more interesting was the landscape closer in. Off to the left, partially obscured by the hills, was the Green Bank telescope, pointing to the heavens. Down in the valley we could see the smoke from the train coming to pick us up on and off, as it wound its way up the mountain. Green clearings lay in sharp contrast to the orange and red trees that populated the landscape. As the family from the caboose came out and snapped photos, their innocence and enjoyment of the vista provided a welcome respite from the frights of the previous night and from the job we had waiting for us back down in Cass.

Several deer, the first animals we'd seen on the mountain were out at the clearing, and Dee went up to them. Unfortunately, the children of the family in the caboose accompanied her, and she could not get as close as she would have liked - she didn't want to endanger the kids. We had originally sat down near the tracks, but bitten by the cold winds, we sought refuge in a tree-lined clearing uphill from the train station with a few picnic baskets. Tonamel stayed down near the lookout, and as we talked, we could hear his voice echoing across the West Virginia hills. As Dee remarked, his wonderful arias could have no better stage or sound system than the natural beauty we found that fall morning. As we sat atop the hill, waiting for the train, we chatted about music and pets and other unimportant things.

The train finally rolled into the station, after being able to hear the whistle through the still air for quite some time. As we gathered our things together, one of the rangers informed us that there had been a man in a Zion hat inquiring about the cabin - and had been on the train up with us the day before. Dee immediately was concerned for Bridget's safety, and quickly surveyed the train and tourists for anyone wearing such a hat. Although she found no one matching the description, our nerves had sharpened again after having been lulled by the landscape and the casual talk.

The train ride down felt much different than the one going up. Each car's brakes squeaked shrilly at unexpected times, sending a shiver down your spine. Many of the trees that had just the day before been sporting colorful leaves were now bare, and the wind seemed even colder than it had yesterday. I was personally frozen to the core several times over the weekend, and never fully thawed until I was well on the way home. But conversations eventually turned to the matters at hand. Devon and Varin went aside, talking about Bridget's plans to stay for the Scream. Although he repeatedly asked Varin to try and convince Bridget that it would be best for her to stay with him - he knew she was hesitant to do so - Varin was insistent that she should get a local non-dreamer to help her over the next few days.

As for me, I had noticed that Bridget had kept quiet thus far, looking sadly into the distance. We met at the side of the train car, and talked the entire way down. We chatted about many random topics - her home state of Maine, musicals, and the state of the world - but also about the task in front of her and the sadness that had transpired. I'm not exactly sure how to put my feelings about all of this down so far, so I hope you'll excuse the fact that I shall save my reflections of Bridget (and Devon) until the end.

As the train rolled into the station, we sadly realized that Providence and Bridget would have to say our goodbyes. She went around to each of us, hugging us and telling us "be seeing you." And as the train rolled into the station, Bridget and I disembarked, while the others stayed on board. I followed her as she walked down the platform, in an attempt to make Devon think someone was keeping an eye on her, but I heard a commotion from the train and saw that Devon had figured out what was going on. The other six forcibly restrained him, and after she had vanished into the crowd, Rowan gave him the letter she had penned. He read its exhortation from her to protect Providence, and, although visibly disappointed, seemed resigned to his fate.

As we got our stuff off the train, we said our goodbyes. Dee, frustrated, had left soon after we let Devon loose. JD and Devon, while not happy with the way the Feast had turned out, shook our hands nonetheless. We wished each other well, and went our separate ways. As I walked back to the house, I figured we would not see them again in West Virginia.

It turns out that wasn't quite right.

To be concluded (for reals) after dinner...

Last edited by Mapmaker on Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Noyb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dav Flamerock wrote:
Noyb, your post confuses me. Because while I'd like to agree with you in that it doesn't seem like a lot of sense, you still ought to realize that all the signs (Peter's emails) were pointing to the conclusion that they didn't know what was up.

I know, I'm, just as confused as you, Dav. Art seems to be the paranoid type, so using the email of an organization to transfer information he wants to keep *away* from that organization doesn't fit his MO. Unless maybe he thought Peter wouldn't care if he did find out (either because he thought Peter's motives were in line with his, or that Art thought Peter has no interest in our whole situation). Or maybe Art just got careless. Charging in guns blazing is the sign of a reckless man.
"Some humans would do almost anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere with a sign on it saying ‘End of the World Switch, Please Do Not Touch’ the paint wouldn’t have time to dry." - Terry Pratchett
Dav Flamerock

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GAH! The suspense is killing me! Couldn't you have ended it a little differently? XD

Quote:
While Biff went to dump the trash, we waved to the children who had been staying in the caboose that night. The family there would later tell us of some eerie things (I forget exactly what) that happened around 1 or 1:30 the night before.

And to everyone else who went, do you remember what they said?

@ Noyb: That does make at least a little bit of sense. For now, we'll settle on 'Reckless Charge'.
Varin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dav Flamerock wrote:
Quote:
While Biff went to dump the trash, we waved to the children who had been staying in the caboose that night. The family there would later tell us of some eerie things (I forget exactly what) that happened around 1 or 1:30 the night before.

And to everyone else who went, do you remember what they said?

I asked the father how the family's night in the caboose was. He said everything was great, but that something odd did happen around 1 or 1:30 (approximately when BA woke us up screaming). He told me that they had been stuffing coal into their caboose's stove all night because of the bitter cold temperatures outside. But at around 1-1:30 it got uncomfortably warm. They went outside to discover a drastic rise in temperature. Within a few minutes (the time it took him to walk over to the bathrooms), the temperature dropped back down again and it started to snow.
Sinyx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagerly awaiting the finale, Map. And concerning the Scream, am I right to assume that it will take place at midnight tonight (start of Halloween day)? That's when it occurred in 1999, isn't it?

I hope Bridget knows what she's doing and finds the strength to accomplish it. Even so, let's also try to send any power we've got her way.
Dav Flamerock

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe. I always figured it'd be tomorrow night, being Halloween night (you know, when everyone's out trick-or-treating)

And another aside, I kinda wish I'd been able to get BA my address as well. Any chance of that?

I think this means something, but it's going to take a little more digging. ~ Eddie Pope
Mapmaker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the delay everyone - I've had a lot of people here asking about my weekend. Now where was I?

We unpacked our things from the Element and sat down to try to relax ourselves. Biff had work the next day, so had to pack up and head back down south. We said our goodbyes, and saw him off. We'd not gotten much sleep the night before, so we ended up plopping down on the couches to watch some television. Rowan was curious about how USC had fared that weekend, but ESPN was stubbornly showing not golf, not poker, but poker players playing golf. When we somehow got tired of the high-stakes action, we made our way to one of two restaurants in town (and the only one that didn't close by 5) for some dinner. We admired the framed Jeff Foxworthy quotes on the wall, the line of Whoop Ass jerkies and sauces, and the pay-after-you-eat policy. The walk back was quiet, and we noted that as today was the last day the trains were running, the town had pretty much emptied out.

Once we got home, we turned on the television yet again, and found the gem known as Not Another Teen Movie. (I can proudly say I was the one to identify it, even not having seen it.) After it ended, I went upstairs to take a nap while the others flipped channels to the Bourne Supremacy. A little over an hour later, Varin went to the general store in town to try and make a collect call to Mr. Varin. No one was there to accept the charges, so she headed back to the cabin in the moonlight.

As they sat there watching the movie, panicked cries for help came from outside the house. They jumped from their seats and looked outside to find a man lying in the road behind a dark SUV getting pummeled by two guys. Rowan stood closest to the action, but didn't go farther than front stoop of the house. Tonamel thought he heard the man screaming, "Help me, Providence," but he wasn't sure. The danger level jumped as the driver of the car locked eyes with Rowan, and in that moment, the danger they were in became all too evident. They rushed back into the house, slamming the door behind them. While they were inside the house, the assaulters outside shoved the man inside the car, got inside, and drove off, so by the time they had opened the door again, there was no sign of them.

Remember that I had been resting peacefully while all this happened. It was a testament to the sheer terror of Bridget's dream that she woke me up so quickly - it took both Tonamel and Rowan to rouse me. Again, I wasn't sure what was going on, and the suddenness of all of it scared me out of sleep for the second time that weekend. When I made it downstairs, I found the three of them looking in the street for any sign of what had happened, or for anything anyone might have dropped. They told me about what had transpired, and that they felt that the abducted person was Devon.

I personally at this point went into defense mode. Summoning all my training gathered from the Discovery Channel, Law & Order, and countless action movies, I grabbed my flashlight (note: not the hatchet) and attempted with the others to secure the perimeter. We locked all the doors and windows, circled the house, and generally were freaked out about what might happen next. Varin and Rowan drove back to the pay phone in order to attempt the collect call once again (successfully this time), while Tonamel and I took the opportunity to secure the secured perimeter more securely.

Once they had returned, Tonamel and I needed to escape the house for some fresh air. I grabbed my flashlight, and we spent the better part of an hour wandering the town, looking for anything suspicious. All the houses were eerily dark, with only the rare car driving through the main road through town. The night was cool, but we were so shaken that it didn't bother us. We wandered over most of the streets of Cass, down to the train station, and around the parking lot. We probably startled some people in campers there, but otherwise didn't see a soul until near the end, when an elderly gentleman pulled up on the street behind our house and talked to us for a minute.

Finally we returned to the house. Although we were unsure if the kidnappers would return (we knew they saw us witness the incident), there wasn't much we could do about the situation except lock up and attempt to sleep. We did have one ally in Cass, however. Remember that dog I'd seen as we left the train station and as we unpacked? He took up residence on our front porch that night. Despite the name "Matt" on his tag, we knew what we had to call him: Providence.

The next morning, I awoke to the sounds of people packing up their stuff. We grabbed some random snacks to eat; I mainly nibbled on cookies that people had baked for the trip. The entire time we were packing up, Providence was running around the house, sitting at the front or back door. We slipped him some food - a little cookie here, some beef jerky there - and he was more than happy to take it. While the town initially stayed as desolate as it had been the night before, as the day went on more people came out of the woodwork - someone on the porch across the street, people in the park near the general store, a park ranger near the tracks - to ease us out of our paranoia and fear.

We spent the rest of the time in Cass wandering down to the ruins of the train repair yards and back. Rowan and Varin were disappointed by the fact that the general store had closed for the season - they'd been looking forward to getting squished pennies from the machine there. I wandered the other way down the tracks and found some rusting freight cars, one from an old naval air station and others from who knows where. At this point, having returned our key to the drop box earlier, it was time to head back home. Tonamel, Varin, and I said goodbye to Rowan, and our two cars headed different directions down the road.

As the narrow roads got wider and the livestock in the fields turned to parking lots and strip malls, we talked about what had happened this weekend. I kept looking at my phone, hoping to get service, and finally managed to send out a text message just south of Elkins once again. By the time we reached the Panera in Clarksburg, we'd gotten ahold of our loved ones and let them know we made it out alive. I noted the three voicemails left by Sentries - WolfHawk, Konamouse, and Taluria - and called WolfHawk back, as she was the only one who'd left her phone number. As we came back online in the Panera, we realized what Varin, Rowan, and Tonamel had seen outside our house was indeed Devon getting picked up.

The drive home was an interesting mix of reflection of the weekend's happenings (I wrote the first part of this en route from Clarksburg to Tonamel's, posting it there, and the second part from Tonamel's to Varin's), casual chatter, and sleep-deprived giggling.

I'm just finding these things on BA's site now. The audio. The pictures. Did the Scream just happen? What is going on? I need time.
Arcas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well written Mapmaker, thanks for sweating it out over the keyboard.
RavenWolf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Arcas over here... very fascinating to read the weekend's events, particularly since I was supposed to go but got screwed over at the end and was prohibited from coming... (stupid life... lol) But I appreciate the effort you put into all these posts as it brings a lot of life to the weekend's events for those of us who couldn't attend so that we can try to decipher what to do now...

Edit: Good GOD! Anybody else as freaked out by the stuff on BA's site now? It sounds like she realized that she can protect Devon now that he's been taken... but her connection isn't quite so perfect based upon the expletive she fired out in the middle of her pleas to him...

She told him to "think of her" and to "believe in her like she believes in him"... sounds to me like the way she has of communicating/saving him is to communicate through her dreamworld... Lucid dreamers are supposed to also have the ability to step into other lucid dreamer's dreamscapes if they have mastered their art... it's something I have tried but haven't successfully accomplished yet, but it does require a conscious effort on behalf of both parties... Perhaps BA has the key to locating and saving Devon from whatever fate has befallen him after his kidnapping?
Dav Flamerock

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That was one hell of a trip. Thanks for slaving it out to get it all to us in its entirety. I'm examining Brigitte's (sp?) audio file now.

I think this means something, but it's going to take a little more digging. ~ Eddie Pope
Biff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent writeup Mapmaker.
Thanks again for taking the time. Much appreciated.

Additional info:
The night of BAs dream, after everyone had calmed down and we were analyzing what it meant, we surmised that BA represents "a new hope". At this point, Mapmaker broke into a stunning rendition of the Star Wars theme. Well done Mapmaker.
Varin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We admired the framed Jeff Foxworthy quotes on the wall, the line of Whoop Ass jerkies and sauces, and the pay-after-you-eat policy.

Heh, I don't think I could have described the restaurant any better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sentry Outpost Forum Index -> Field Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: